Heatwave. Jabs.

May 19th, 2008 by: cheyenne

[Ronin finally crashed out after hours of screaming on Joshua’s lap. Looks like *somebody* will have to sleep in a sitting position on the couch tonight…]

It’s been bloody hot here lately. Last Sunday or something, Joshua’s mom told us that she had heard that it would be high 80s—maybe even 90s—and as we drove to Astoria through the wind and rain, barely able to see the very road before us due to the gloomy darkness cast by the shadows of the trees under the thick overcast sky, we thought to ourselves “That woman? She’s DEFinitely hitting the Charles Shaw a little hard these days.” However, Tuesday hit and it was, well, weirdly balmy. And then Wednesday? I swear it was 95 degrees. Of course, it is not unheard of for the weather to be so warm here in Portland but not all at once like that! We need to ease into these things. We need more than a day’s advance warning; this suddenness just confused everybody. Wednesday night we slept without the two comforters we normally huddle under. I slept poorly and when I lifted Ronin out of her cradle, her head was lying in a damp circle of baby head sweat. Thursday it was 100 degrees. Thursday night I sent Joshua to the store to buy a fan.

Joshua returned with two different fans. Evidently, the Fred Meyer fan aisle was a ransacked disaster and, seized with consternation at this sudden famine of fans, he bought pretty much the only two left. One of them didn’t even come with a box or tag or any identifying branding information. Maybe it wasn’t even for sale. Thursday night was better and we’ve had the thing running almost nonstop since.

Ronin’s sleep habits continue to confuse: she is a terror to get to sleep these days and we end up rocking/bouncing/feeding/bouncing/dancing/singing/bouncing her endlessly before she’ll succumb. Then she’ll sleep soundly, only getting me up twice (or once!) before she gets up the next day. I was just getting used to this pattern when she 1) was a howling monster to get down Sunday night, taking nearly two solid hours of etc. etc. to finally sink into a fitful sleep and 2) she then proceeded to get me up every two hours before deciding her day (and mine, and the neighbor’s) was ready to begin at 5am.

Today was her four-month well-baby checkup and second round of immunization jabs. I think we both were looking and feeling our best when we arrived at Doctor Cynthia’s this morning. We had a new nurse who was less than proficient when it came to recording the stats but here they are, more or less: Weight: 15lbs 6oz (82%); Height: 24.75 in (65%); Head circ: 16.5 in (73%). She had to take the head circumference measurement three times, the first two times she measured the tape to the 1-inch mark, then didn’t subtract an inch from the total. Joshua pointed this out to her and she measured incorrectly again. We gave up thinking we would have the doctor re-take her measurement, then when we were waiting in the exam room, the nurse came scuttling back in with the tape saying maybe she would get that head measurement one more time. Yep. Anyway, Ronin was pronounced healthy and very alert and basically a wonder baby.

Then the nurse returned with the junk. Two shots for one leg, one for the other, and a squirt thing of goop for her to swallow. This nurse (who was wearing Dora The Explorer scrubs) was also not as good at administering vaccinations as the last one and it took about five full minutes for her to squirt the 1cc of liquid into her mouth, “we don’t want her to choke now.” I hate having it drawn out like that even if it was the not-ouchy part. I kept thinking how here we are with our perfectly healthy little baby and now they are putting all this stuff in her and what if she gets a bad dose. I thought about smacking the vaccine out of her hand, grabbing the baby, and making a run for it.

And of course she wailed tragically when the shots were given and tears flowed freely from her tightly-shut little eyes and the moment the shots were done, we pretty much just got the fuck out of there. Poor thing. She was fine about two minutes later and actually quite cheerful really. We preemptively gave her some baby Tylenol when we got home (more drugs, sigh) and went out for some grocery shopping.

It’s cooler today (high 80s? 90s?) and the fan is still running. She went to sleep earlier without too much hassle but woke back up again and now Joshua is bouncing bouncing bouncing her back down.

One Comment on “Heatwave. Jabs.”

  1. cheyenne says:

    PS – Woke up Tuesday morning (bright and early, ahem) to overcast skies and a total downpour. Ah well, it was exciting while it lasted. The apartment feels great though. I turned the fan off.

Leave a Comment

Cheyenne Weil, Joshua Coxwell